Destroy Mosquito Breeding Sites at home or resort cabins
- Check for and collect new trash in the yard, especially cans, plastic bins and old tires which hold water.
- Replace or drain water in plant saucers, bird baths and water features.
- Ensure rain gutters are draining and there is no standing water.
- Check that chlorine content of pools and hot tubs is at upper limit of normal.
- Spray residual insecticide in and around screen doors and entranceways (where mosquitoes loiter).
- Change water in pet dishes.
- Flush all toilets and run hot water through sink traps.
- Rinse and scrub vases and other indoor water containers weekly.
- Change water in wading pools and bird baths.
- Check that trash containers are covered; consider insecticide spray for wet trash between pickup.
- Reduce lawn sprinkler use so water soaks into ground and does not stand for over 1 day.
- Place fine mesh screen covers over water tanks, gutter rain barrels and other outdoor water storage.
If there are lots of mosquitoes or uncontrolled mosquitoes breeding nearby:
- Consider use of insecticide room fogger (malathion is best) every 3-5 days.
- Use insecticide spray on foliage near house or resort cabin every 2 days (rain season) or 5 days (dry season).
- Pour 1 liter of very hot water into floor drains every week